Re: Drag-and-drop from Ubuntu One folder

They don't really have to reinvent the wheel here or anything, just use Nautilus interface for CD-burning. If you haven't used it before, it pops up when you insert a blank-CD or DVD and you can drag-n-drop folders and files on it (which are obviously not then moved there). Once done you burn the CD - before that it looks and acts like a directory (its what I expected when I first used UbuntuOne and then found I'd "lost" some documents).

I think UbuntuOne is already exploring using symlinks too which will be nice as I'd like to have certain directories continuously uploaded (or synced) with the server without having to continue to drag-n-drop them in the UbuntuOne folder. If I can keep a symlink there to my documents then hopefully as those documents change, they will be uploaded...

On 09-09-25 02:53 PM, S B Malevich wrote:
Could this behavior be an option in a preference menu?

I, personally, don't think that this mount/unmount method (ala iDisk) is
particularly intuitive. I'm not mounting a remote disk, and so, it
shouldn't behave as though I was. I don't see how this way is "better".

Keep it simple.

-----Original Message-----
From: Forrest Sheng Bao<forrest.bao@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ubuntuone-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Ubuntuone-users] Drag-and-drop from Ubuntu One folder
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:31:18 -0500

I think, in one word, things should be as easy as iDisk on Mac OS X. In
iDisk, Mac OS X treats your folder on MobileMe remote server as a disk
and makes you access remote files like you access files on local
harddrive. I think NFS also made this years ago. This is a must-have of
Ubuntu One. If one thing is not convinient and intuitive to do, users
will give up your products.

Cheers,
Forrest

Forrest Sheng Bao, BSEE, Graduate Student
Dept. of Computer Science/Electrical Engineering, Texas Tech University
http://narnia.cs.ttu.edu
Sent from Lubbock, TX, United States

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM, S B Malevich<sbmalev@xxxxxxxxx>