Re: Paid subscriber quota changing from 10GB to 50GB

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Elliot Murphy <elliot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi! Launchpad tells me that there are 716 of you subscribed to this
> list. Wow...
>
> Some news: We're changing the storage quota for Ubuntu One paid
> subscribers from 10GB to 50GB today. At this point the price isn't
> changing, and the quota for free subscriptions isn't changing. Hope you
> enjoy it!

Awesome. I'm actually going to consider upgrading now.

> In the coming weeks, Joshua Hoover will be posting some tutorials about
> how to use all the various Ubuntu One enabled features in Ubuntu 9.10
> (Karmic):
>
> * Tomboy note syncing (go to the syncronization tab and choose
>  'tomboy web')
> * Contact syncing (go into evolution and notice the Ubuntu One
>  address book)
> * Bookmark syncing (install the 'bindwood' package)
> * File syncing and sharing (I expect most folks know how to use
>  this part already)
> * For developers/hackers, some really cool peer-to-peer CouchDB
>  LAN syncing (check out the desktopcouch-tools package) and the
>  templates in Quickly for storing app configuration and data in
>  CouchDB, along with Gtk widgets for accessing CouchDB and Contacts
>  records in CouchDB.

Any chance that we'll see any special features for media sharing (photos,
music, videos, etc.)?

I hope to see many of you at UDS in November in Dallas, TX to get
> feedback on Ubuntu One features that made it into Karmic, and to discuss
> improvements and more features for Lucid!

Unfortunately, I can't attend UDS on a student's budget, but I'd love to see
Ubuntu One take on a more "Human" feel for Lucid. A few ideas:
* Give users a personalized home page where they can show people what
documents they're publicly sharing and let other people request access to
shares.
* Let users customize their home page with pictures and videos directly from
Cheese or F-Spot.
* Help people *generate* content which they can share with the Ubuntu
community. We want users to feel *encouraged* and *excited *to take
screencasts and shoot tutorials. Participating in the Ubuntu community and
helping out people should be easy- just take a screencast or screenshot and
hit the conveniently placed "Share with the Ubuntu Community" button.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Lets put the "Ubuntu" (as in
humanity towards others) back into "Ubuntu One." We have an opportunity to
get people involved in something new and exciting. Lets not waste it.

Natan