Re: Paid subscriber quota changing from 10GB to 50GB

On 10/01/2009 04:12 PM, Natan Yellin wrote:
> Any chance that we'll see any special features for media sharing
> (photos, music, videos, etc.)?

Not specifically for Karmic. Of course, the website is not subject to
the same 6 month release cycle, so we might do something there. In
Lucid, I expect that we'll expand the file sharing so that you can tell
Ubuntu One to sync any folder in your home directory, so that would be
really useful to sync your photos directory, etc.

I'd love to see some importers/web backup tools on the server side, for
example I often post photos to Flickr from my mobile phone, but I'd like
to have an importer that backs up certain Flickr streams into my Ubuntu
One account so I have a backup of my and my friends photos that I can
count on staying around. I'm sure other people have even more
interesting ideas like this.

>     I hope to see many of you at UDS in November in Dallas, TX to get
>     feedback on Ubuntu One features that made it into Karmic, and to discuss
>     improvements and more features for Lucid!
>
> Unfortunately, I can't attend UDS on a student's budget, but I'd love to
> see Ubuntu One take on a more "Human" feel for Lucid. A few ideas:
> * Give users a personalized home page where they can show people what
> documents they're publicly sharing and let other people request access
> to shares.
> * Let users customize their home page with pictures and videos directly
> from Cheese or F-Spot.
> * Help people /generate/ content which they can share with the Ubuntu
> community. We want users to feel /encouraged/ and /excited /to take
> screencasts and shoot tutorials. Participating in the Ubuntu community
> and helping out people should be easy- just take a screencast or
> screenshot and hit the conveniently placed "Share with the Ubuntu
> Community" button.

Wow! This is *such* a cool idea.

> I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Lets put the "Ubuntu" (as in
> humanity towards others) back into "Ubuntu One." We have an opportunity
> to get people involved in something new and exciting. Lets not waste it.

What a great sentiment! I completely agree. I've heard people musing
about whether there is some convenient way that we could allow people to
opt-in to getting shares of screencasts, or other content, and your idea
about using this infrastructure to make it much easier for people to
produce content I think is a wonderful one.

You definitely don't have to attend UDS to get your voice heard, we all
read the mailing list, feature requests filed in the bug tracker, ideas
from Ubuntu brainstorm, etc. Thank you very much for sharing your
thoughts here :)
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/