Re: python-ubuntuone-client gnome dependencies

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:03:52 -0500
Elliot Murphy <elliot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Softening that dependency so that you can use u1sync from a server
> seems totally reasonable, although we've been pretty focused on the
> desktop environment I don't think anyone wants to lock out the more
> technical users from using things like u1sync on a server.
>
> I wonder if maybe the dependency on gnome-keyring and
> python-gnome2-desktop should be in ubuntuone-client-gnome rather than
> python-ubuntuone-client.

The code in python-ubuntuone-client depends on gnomekeyring. If we
moved the package dependency around, then u1sync would be installable
without it, but would still just not work, but with a different error.

> Or, maybe ubuntuone-client-tools should Depend: on
> python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol rather than ubuntuone-client.

Once we switch to using python-keyring to abstract the keyring bits
out, this won't actually be an issue any more. Of course, the other
major problem is that we still need UI to do the authentication step.
Because u1sync has options to pass in the oauth token and consumer
information, it still allows for authenticating if there isn't a token
in the keyring. I'd rather not remove that functionality. At that point,
supporting headless setups is a bit more problematic.