cannot authorize my computer

I just upgraded to 9.10 and decided to try out Ubuntu One. I've created the
Launchpad account, but if I start Ubuntu One from Application->Internet, the icon appears in my panel with a red-background X. I tried typing 'u1sync --authorize' from a terminal, but it just hangs and nothing happens with my web browser (Firefox). I've uninstalled and re-installed ubuntuone-client, but that doesn't help. I've never been
offered an 'add this computer' button in the browser. So it's impossible
for me to authorize this computer. What can anyone suggest??

Thanks