Re: Persistent problems with UbuntuOne / cont.

Sorry - hit a wrong button, picking up where I was...
J.

Hi all,

when I updated my laptop from 9.10 to 10.04 (about 12 days ago) I also
installed UbuntuOne client and tried to use U1 service. And since then I
have not been able to get U1 to work in any useful way at all.

When the first attempt about 10 days ago failed frustratingly (esp. as
there was no hint as to why it didn't work) I thought I'd just wait for
some time and then try again. So I started again yesterday but didn't
get an inch further than before.

Recap:
Installed U1 client together with update to 10.04, registered to U1 and
bought a first album via RhythmBox. The album arrrived in the U1
storage, but only partially synced to my local store (5 out of 11 files
- I actually had to do a file by file manual download via the web
interface to get the complete album...). I then tried to sync a local
file to the cloud store, which only created some of the folders and
didn't sync any files. I then tried to stop this sync following the FAQs
(using u1sdtool), but to no avail - actually u1sdtool got hung, I had to
kill the process. Then I followed FAQ for a complete removal and
reinstall of the U1 client, only to see, that the U1 storage still held
a folder as a "synced" vs. of my local folder, and the web interface
would and will still not let me delete this folder.

Except for that everything seemed o.k. (device connected, MusicStore
working etc.), so I gave it another try and bought some more music. With
basically the same result - only this time just the folders but none of the files synced to
my local folder, I had to do the file by file manual download again to
at least get my music.

At that point, after some scanning of Tutorial/FAQs and not finding any
hints at what had gone wrong I let the whole thing sit for about 10 days.

Yesterday I started to give U1 another try, as it has some features that
I'd really like to use. But still the same picture, none of the music
files had synced in the meantime. And not enough with that - obviously 2
tracks of one album hadn't even made it into the U1 storage. When I checked
the download list of the MS in Rhythmbox I saw that some of the files
were not marked as downloaded - of course one of the missing files was
among them, so I could not repeat the download for that, only got the
other missing file by repeating the download.

So what, I thought, let's buy that missing track once more - it's just 99 ct.s (it's an album I rellay wanted to have in digital form, but that was never released on CD, and I didn't really want to get into digitizing old vinyl records...). O.K. - next thing Rhythmbox got stuck when I tried to get to the actual purchase order, eventully told me to try later. The order was still in the basket, so I went for the next try. This time it went through after some more minor problems. Result: 2(!) order confirmations, and still haven't got the music file in my U1 store.

After reading my way through Launchpad and the German Ubuntu-users forum and wiki and trying everything that only looked like it could solve the problem (basically disconnecting and re-connecting my device, removing and reinstalling te SW again, with special care to delete all old config files etc.) I'm still stuck. But what happened in the course of these tries is, that suddenly U1 tried to restart the sync of my local folder and at least created most of its subfolders in the U1 storage. Attempts to drop thyt sync via u1sdtool - no success (see attachment). This folder is not marked as subscribed, but still U1 tries to sync it, only to get stuck after creating the subfolders.

So it seems that:
+ there are still problems with transferring music files from 7digital to U1
+ there are problems with the RhythmBox-plugin for the U1 MS
+ there are missing functions in the webinterface (cannot delete folders no longer to be synced)
+ and there are huge problems with the U1 client and u1sdtool.

Makes: One big flop!

Now don't get me wrong - I'm running Ubuntu since 7.10, and were using SuSe for years before that. And so far I could manage any problem I ran into through online help, reading the forums, FAQs etc. - up to this mess. And what makes my frustration with this so bad is that I really jumped on the idea to use this cloud service from Canonical / Ubuntu.

Sorry guys, starting a service, and one that you want to earn some money with, with a SW as buggy and intransparent as this was a really bad idea. And while I will still be a fan of Ubuntu's, you totally lost me for UbuntuOne.

Best regards

Johannes