Re: problem with my ubuntu one

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Martin Albisetti <beuno@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Grohiik Drog <grohiik.drog@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > today i upload file to my account and after that i try to up and go to
> > another folder in ubuntu one but i get this error message and try again
> and
> > show again this error :
>
> We are currently in a maintenance window, as announced:
> https://plus.google.com/101604387022354574903/posts/gvgjwUV3qV2

I've now subscribed to that Google+ page, but that's the first I've heard
of its existence or that maintenance windows would be announce there to the
exclusion of this list. This list being what it is would
have benefited from a copy of that announcement in particular and a head's
up about google plus being the place to be.

It's no wonder my fellow U1 user was unaware of this maintenance window, so
it's a bit of a cop out to just point to that page and that's that. As if
it's somehow a user error not to know about this announcement when it's
tucked away in a filing cabinet somewhere in the bottom of a building,
without even as much as a 'beware of the leopard' sign. Case in point:
Where was the announcement on this list about Google Plus?

A more helpful reply would have been:

"Dear Grohiik,

We are currently in a maintenance window, as announced:
https://plus.google.com/101604387022354574903/posts/gvgjwUV3qV2

Sadly it appears to have slipped our collective minds to inform people on
this list about our Google+ page, or indeed this maintenance period. Our
apologies to you for not being able to plan around this outage for lack of
this information. This was entirely our oversight.

In the future we'll announce maintenance windows on this list in addition
to the Google+ page, as we understand our users might not feel the need to
participate on Google+ just to use our product.

In addition, I'll ask the team working on the U1 software if the client
application can inform the user of a pending maintenance window well ahead
of schedule, because that is really the place to communicate this knowledge
in the first place. During the maintenance window the client might also
give helpful feedback instead of 'File Sync starting...' when it's apparent
no such thing is happening.

Thank you for reporting this error, which led us to think and come to the
conclusion that we could have done better. We will endeavour to do so.

Regards,
...."

Or you know, something - anything - other than just a link with the implied
'user error' attitude.

A bit of a failed experiment in customer service here, Ubuntu. You can do
better than that.

Gr,
Jeroen