Re: [DOLFIN-dev] complex valued functoins

Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Evan Lezar wrote:
Hi

I am working on some electromagnetic problems that require I model the
electric field as a complex phasor.  When compiling user-defined
functions I get an error message.

For example, consider the following simple function:

f = Function(V, '1.0j')

when calling the JIT compiler, the log shows the following error (in the
last couple of lines):

dolfin_compile_function_934f16b21b1210d9244eba2ba7985a9a_wrap.cxx: In
member function ‘virtual void
dolfin::function_91ee55df622466fafbf3ba887ffb745e::eval(double*, const
double*) const’:
dolfin_compile_function_934f16b21b1210d9244eba2ba7985a9a_wrap.cxx:3221:
error: cannot convert ‘double __complex__’ to ‘double’ in assignment

Does dolfin support complex valued functions?
No.

If so, how do I go about
getting them working?  And if not, how do I go about adding the
functionality.

It would be a big task to make it seamless. The starting point would be
having FFC (or soon UFL) support complex functions. I thought about this
a few years ago but never got around to it.

Thinking about, it shouldn't be too hard to patch something together using
mixed elements.

Won't be as user-friendly as it could be though, but perhaps you
could define e.g. complex multiplication as python functions on top.

Agree, it wouldn't be user friendly. Making it user friendly would require a lot of work on UFL/FFC/DOLFIN.

Garth

UFL question: Does or will UFL support complex functions?
No. And I don't think making such an addition before it has stabilised
is an option, we can't change everything everywhere simultaneously.

OK. Would be good for the long-term goals list.

Sure. I'll add it.

Martin