Re: Quadrature degree estimation

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:11:12PM +0800, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:02:04PM +0200, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
>>> Take a look at
>>>   ufl/sandbox/algorithmtests/degree_estimation.py
>>> just added.
>>>
>>> Is this good enough for the initial version?
>>> It handles mixed elements by using the max
>>> degree of subelements, and nonlinear operators
>>> by just using the degree of the operands.
>>> Should work fine for most forms where accurate
>>> estimation is possible.
>>>

> Should it be called 'estimate_max_poly_order' rather than
> 'estimate_max_quadrature_order'?

My suggestion would be

  estimate_max_polynomial_degree

Then it's very clear what it is.

>>> I'll add it into UFL soon.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> It looks good to me, but I haven't tried it.
>>
>> UFL now seems to have at least three ways to estimate the quadrature
>> degree:
>>
>>   extract_quadrature_order
>
> This gets the order of a quadrature element.

ok. I find the naming a bit confusing. How about we change the name of
this as well. Then we have two functions:

  estimate_max_polynomial_degree
  extract_max_quadrature_element_degree

Maybe the first one should also be named 'extract'. Or is it
'estimate' because it might only make a qualified guess if the
integrand is not a polynomial? So we could have

  extract_max_polynomial_degree
  extract_max_quadrature_element_degree

Then it would be very clear what these two functions do.

Martin?

>>   estimate_quadrature_order
>
> I don't follow exactly what this function is doing.
>
>>   estimate_max_quad_degree

This is still in the sandbox.

Do you have a good test example that can be added to the demos so we
verify things work as expected?

--
Anders