Re: [DOLFIN-dev] A form-based approach to isoparametry

Reversing the affine transformation is a temporary measure; it's because I
haven't modified FFC to stop generating the affine jacobian.

It all depends on what level things are done at as to what gets complicated;
It seems that generating this code gets complicated either way, so here's
how it looks:

My present musings work entirely within UFL, and I can easily add geometric
terms at the form level like this, but will only work with
affinely-transforming elements -- a large class, but we're going for the
general case.  There are two ways we could go from there -- the one I was
considering with this question was keeping this in UFL and extracting the
transformation type from the basis functions (for non-affine basis
functions, at least).  This appears to be possible, but really quite a lot
of code, as done in the likes of the quadraturetransformer in FFC.

The other option is to generate code for the jacobian in FFC/Syfi/etc.  I
examined the generation code and determined that the second is probably the
best option for generality's sake.  However, it's still not pretty.  There's
a lot of code wrapped up in the affine transformation from FIAT onward, as
you are probably quite aware. :)

- Peter