Re: [Ffc] New syntax for mixed and enriched spaces

Marie Rognes wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:41:42AM +0100, Marie Rognes wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 06:20:00PM +0800, Garth N. Wells wrote:
On 22/03/10 16:42, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:
On 21 March 2010 21:32, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After Marie's latest addition of enriched spaces (and some discussion with Doug Arnold), it seems clear that our current notation V + W for
mixed spaces is not optimal.

Even though one may think of the operation of creating a "mixed
function space" as a direct sum,

X = {(v, 0) : v in V} \oplus {(0, w) : w in W},

it is more natural (and common) to think of it as a Cartesian product,

X = V \times W = {(v, w) : v in V, w in W}

It would therefore be more natural to use '*' instead of '+' as the
operation for creating mixed elements/function spaces.

That would free up '+' to be used for enriched spaces (which have
recently been added),

X = {v + w : v in V, w in W}

The typical example would be to take V piecewise linears and W scaled
P3 bubbles.

In summary, the suggestion is to use the following notation:

+ <-->  +
* <-->  \times

It's obvious this is better than what we have now which is

+ <--> \oplus
? <--> +

Thoughts?
Agree.

Me too.

Garth
ok. Let's change then.

It will require changes in both UFL and FFC. Anyone up for it?
I can fix ffc.

I was hoping for that. :-)

(Have no permission for ufl)

You do now. ;-)

Aka, I'll fix that too.

Fixed:

(a) ElementUnion is now called EnrichedElement.

(b) (Old) V + Q --> (New) V * Q

(c) V + Q = EnrichedElement(V, Q)

Now, PYDOLFIN needs updating...

--