Re: [Branch ~ufl-core/ufl/main] 2 revisions removed

On 11/05/11 15:43, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 03:57:52PM +0200, Anders Logg wrote:

>>> Depends on how you set up your repositories, where your branches are
>>> located, etc...
>>>
>>> You really have to read up on it and try it out a bit to understand
>>> it, and I doubt I can write it better than what Johannes linked to +
>>> the bazaar docs.
>>>
>>> I plan to keep a local repository with multiple branches like this:
>>>   ~/dev/fenics/ufl/ - local ufl repository
>>
>> Is this a repository? Or is it just a directory named ufl inside which
>> you keep a number of different repositories?
>
> Talked to Martin during lunch. Here's a simple summary of what needs
> to be done to set things up correctly (Cc to dolfin-dev so everyone else
> sees this):
>
>   bzr init-repo foo
>   cd foo
>   bzr checkout lp:foo trunk
>   bzr branch trunk work
>
> We should add this to the developer page in the documentation.
>
> Everyone should adopt this and we should pick on anyone that pushes
> removed changesets.

There's an effective way to make these pushes impossible and disable the
bzr "feature" of renumbering revisions: set the option
append_revisions_only=True in <yourbranch>/.bzr/branch/branch.conf

For branches on launchpad this works as follows:
1) sftp bazaar.launchpad.net
     cd ~user/project/branch/.bzr/branch
     get branch.conf
2) edit the downloaded file, adding append_revisions_only = True
3)   put branch.conf

I suggest doing this for all branches on launchpad to enforce consistent
revision numbers.

More background: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5413602

Florian