Re: Getting rolling for 9.10

Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Saturday 18 April 2009 13:14, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
Hi folks

This is the right spot for proposals and discussions for the next round
of evolution of the notification guidelines behind Notify-OSD and the
Messaging Menu. The best format for proposals is probably mockups and
specs on the Ubuntu wiki, combined with mention of existing / new bugs.

Looking forward to it!

I've been considering how to bring up integration of notifications from applications using notify-osd into Kubuntu. Clearly notify-osd should present a KDE front end when applications send it notifications for a Kubuntu session and given notify-osd's design, they would be incomplete without the companion Messaging Menu.

I've been reading about the new systray design that's landed in KDE 4.3 and think it looks very promsing. Reading this:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=124025116527240&w=2

caused me to think of the messaging menu. KDE upstream is actively looking for 3rd party developers to experiment with the new protocol. I don't imagine developers of a new application like Messaging Menu would be interested in integrating via the old (and not so great in many respects) method.

So to get things started, I'd like to suggest Messaging Menu integrated into the systray via the new protocol as an Ayatana objective for Karmic. To assist in this effort, another community developer (I'll thank him by name after it works) is working on getting KDE trunk (the to be 4.3) running on Jaunty via Project Neon. That should provide a reasonably stable basis for Ayatana developers to work with.
Hi Scott,

We've seen the discussion started by Aaron on the xdg list and it would be great to get rid of Xembed for systray indicators.

In fact, we wish indicators could also manage their drop down menu directly as a non-backward compatible option. This is where we're at with the libindicate design, that is, the indicator runs in panel space using a well-known code base that can be designed to improve reliability, responsiveness and boot time!

But anyway, yes we'll be really happy to work on a Messaging Menu for KDE now that we've recruited people with the right talents.

There will be a session at UDS about the message indicator. Could you coordinate with your "masked" developer friend to represent him at the Summit. Aurélien and Bo will work with you there to organize the work for 9.10. I think Sebastian Kuegler, who is also working on a more generic journal / tasklist UI is coming to Barcelona too. So I really look forward to discussing all that with you in a few weeks.

In the meantime, we can use the list to prepare this session.

David