Re: Message Indicator message weighting

I still feel default notifications (knotify in the case of KDE) is my ideal method on email notifications

More crap isn't always better

On May 9, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Martin Owens <doctormo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I have to go into my email configuration and specify an email
address that's "important" so that it "gives me the green dot", that's
a LOT of work. On its own, the payoff (a green dot on new email from
that address) isn't really worth it. ESPECIALLY if "I get frequent
email from" these same people - in that case, I may as well just use
the green dot to indicate ANY new mail, since there's a good chance it
comes from one of those people.

It might be worth considering some useful defaults, I consider email
with my email address in the To field to be more important than emails
to me in the cc or bcc fields. I also consider emails from mailing lists
to not be worth immediate notification.

Although Evolution doesn't have any mailing list handling yet, so I
don't know how feasible it is.

I agree on the Contacts infrastructure, more work on social contacts and
cross data contexts would go a long way to putting Ubuntu above and
beyond any other operating system. (if done right)

Regards, Martin