Re: Things I have noticed

Il giorno gio, 04/06/2009 alle 13.19 -0400, Jacob Peddicord ha scritto:

> Wouldn't the proper way to remedy this would be to close communication
> applications during a presentation? I won't disagree that disabling
> notifications for a time would be useful, but if you don't want Pidgin
> triggering notifications for a presentation, then close Pidgin.

I usually disable networking, but I think in general notifications
should be avoided during a presentation. Imagine I am proudly showing my
own software, and showing how well it works under ubuntu is part of the
experience.

Then I have a buggy software that starts notifying me until I kill it.
Very unprofessional but it might happen.

What I mean is that we need a mode ("busy" in FUSA would be just nice)
where the actions that the computer takes are under the control of the
user.

Disabling not only notifications, but also cron and update-notifier
seems a good idea: it is true that cron jobs (see e.g.
update-apt-xapian-index) may make the computer unusable. Again, would be
very unprofessional during a presentation, or just forcing me to format
the hard-drive on an anger rush, if it happens during my favourite scene
of that cool moovie.

Vincenzo