Re: Things I have noticed

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:00 PM, David Siegel
<david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2. Provide a way for the user to explicitly block and unblock most if not
> all notifications to prevent embarrassment. Even if we are perfectly
> prescient and block all embarrassing notifications at just the right times,
> the user will still have an uneasy feeling if the blocking is not somehow
> made explicit, either by requiring user interaction, or displaying some sort
> of persistent "notifications are blocked" icon.

I am just throwing this out, I can see it being both a bad and good
idea, but what about a notification that pops up when you go from
available to busy/away that says "You will receive no further
notifications until you become Available again" with some sort of Do
Not Disturb icon. Then perhaps a complimentary one when becoming
Available. I can see where this would make the user feel assured of
their change, as well as inform users who weren't aware this would
happen, but it also is an added notification that is superfluous after
you are aware of the behavior.

I definitely agree with your two goals, and just thought I'd throw out
that suggestion of how to make the consequences of the decision
explicit.

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney@xxxxxxxxxx