Re: Plans for thunderbird and its mail notifications?

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> I would like this too, but I don't know that there's a concrete effort
> in place. We would consider sponsoring the Ubuntu Notify addon work if
> the author is open to guidance on the user experience and keen to work
> on it further. The work would include both notification and messaging
> indicator use, ideally.

Thanx for the reply Mark,

I'v done further digging through launchpad and found this>
https://launchpad.net/libnotify-mozilla

the author of the Ubuntu Notify, Ruben Verweij , seems to be also
involved in the launchpad project. :)

I'v also looked into the addon xpi[s] and realized that the addons are
limited by notify-osd specs, [notify-osd doesnt allow Bold lines in
lines other than the first title] which leads to a very unpleasant
notification.

to make the new mail notification useful ,changes are *probably* needed
in notify-osd itself.[to allow several subject lines to be displayed in
bold within a single bubble].

probably Mirco needs to confirm this limitation.

Oh, btw *for evolution things are worse* ! , it just displays "X new
mails" , which is in no way informative...

> That's up to the developer and the designer. I would guess it varies
> based on how many mails and how quickly they arrive. For example, if
> there is a send/receive cycle and there are 150 new messages, it's best
> just to say that. If there's 1, then it would make sense to give more
> detail (and perhaps use the messaging menu more creatively...). In
> between there may be more interesting options.

ideally, i would say that the user should choose...
providing 2 options:
1: display X mails per bubble [after which the next bubble displays]
2: max of X mails to use the bubble [if mails beyond this max number are
present> the bubble should just display X more new mails]

cheers,
mac_v