Re: Getting users to care (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager])

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:40:12 +0530 mac_v <drkvi-a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >It is accepted that the icon is NOT very useful and also ignored
>
> I have to disagree.  This has been repeatedly asserted, but I don't recall
> any actual studies that support this.
>
> This change has been overwhelmingly negatively received by all classes of
> user.

Would you mind showing us some evidence of said "overwhelmingly negatively"
reaction? From what I've seen on the mailing lists so far, those complaining
about the update pop-under mostly belong to a small, yet very vocal group of
power users. Power users are often adamant about having absolute control
over their computers, so it is no surprise that some of them find it very
irritating when their computers open windows without their explicit consent.
I'm not sure, however, that this is the case for most users (myself
included, and I'm  a power user, for sure). I would expect most people to
just confirm the updates and keep going with their lives, but, as I said, if
you have clear evidence that contradicts my expectation, I'll be glad to see
it.

My own view is that the old method was quite reasonably discoverable for
> users that cared about updates and that being more obvious isn't going to
> cause signficant numbers of users that don't care to suddenly start doing
> so.  I think mostly this change is annoying both groups.

I think I've heard someone mention usability studies showing this not to be
the case, but I can't find it right now. It would be good to have hard
evidence here, anyway.

M. S.