Re: Updates on Login (was: Re: [Fwd: Update manager])

Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
Il giorno mer, 17/06/2009 alle 09.26 -0500, David Siegel ha scritto:
I auto-login, so I would not use this feature, but let's not think of gurus like us

The argument "that's for gurus" or "power users" keeps popping up :)
This can not be applied here: auto-login is enabled by checking an
innocent checkbox during install, and I am sure this is more interesting
for non-power-users who have only one user account on their machine.

Not that I do not find the idea interesting, it's just an observation on
that particular argument that I don't like too much.

V.
Yeah. It's a good thing that you pointed out that auto-login can be activated during install. I use the auto-login feature too and run xtrlock on startup for protection but that's already offtopic.

I don't think that updates on login or at shutdown is a good idea. Routine fsck can attest to this. Most of the time, it's not the right time to wait for updates because the user is in a hurry to do what he wants to do with the computer, in my case at least. It's a good thing that there's an option now to cancel this routine check. Unlike fsck, updates can be done on a running DE session. If notifying about updates at startup really is a good idea, the right thing to do could be simply notifying the user that there are updates and letting the user choose whether or not to permit the upgrade while not restricting the user from doing typical desktop operations while the upgrade is running. A use case would be Jack wants to IM his classmate soon because she texted him she is already online. Jack turns the computer and sees updates notifications after he logged in. He then permits the upgrade and while the upgrade is running, he opens Pidgin so he can chat right away. The upgrade should be after GDM because some people auto-login or don't use GDM. Also, processing package information while loading GDM would slow down login. That would be very annoying.

I also don't agree with updates on shut down. I'm on a laptop and it's annoying when Windows doesn't want to power off when I want it to because I'm uncomfortable with bagging my laptop and carrying it around while it upgrading. That's just bad for my hard drive and my hardware will be hot.