Re: Updates on Login

Vadim Peretokin wrote:
I'll second this. In my use-case, my mother /really/ hates doing updates (only does them after a while, and hates the orange icon - I suppose that'll improve with an upgrade to jaunty). Forcing her to wait for updates after she turns on the computer for something would really be backwards.

Nevermind that it takes away control from the user and instead of spoon-feeding, it force-feeds them.

Vadim, check out my last email. When we discuss these things, it's best to give each suggestion the benefit of the doubt so we don't accidentally attribute invented flaws to good ideas.

When you turn on your computer, you are engaging with it, signaling that you have time and attention to give to the machine.

When you turn off your computer, are are disengaging with it, signaling that you need to go do something else and not use the machine any more. The "Set it and forget it" mentality of updates at shutdown is actually a very advanced user behavior, and does not work well for anyone, even advanced users, on portable computers.

David