Re: Solving the "user forgets about presentation mode" problem! (was Re: notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors)

To be quite honest, if the movie is any good, I will likely miss the
notification anyways... but that's just me!  :)

If I really wanted to watch something while waiting for a particular
notification, I would probably keep exiting full-screen to double-check my
email/IM manually (I could've missed the notification, or maybe I'm just
being antsy).  On the other hand, if it wasn't something I was waiting for,
but just mildly interested in catching, well... I would probably finish my
movie first.

I don't disagree that there might be the odd case where I'm watching a movie
and I wouldn't mind being interrupted by an IM.  In this case we should
think of a way to allow this, but without complex configuration or
additional dialogues.

One thing to bear in mind is that receiving an unwanted (non-critical)
notification is usually more detrimental than missing a wanted
notification.  I can cite two examples of this:  1)  Of course, when making
a presentation, it's an absolute no-no to have a dialogue or notification
pop-up in front.  2)  If I'm at work I generally do not want IM
notifications popping up at all in case a co-worker is strolling by and
glances at my screen.

The "fullscreen = i'm busy" assumption is one step towards eliminating
unwanted notifications.  The second step might be having notify-osd observe
an availability indicator of some sort, or just having a way of disabling
certain types of notifications.

To summarize, I think the mandate here is two-fold:  1)  To reduce the
occurrences of unwanted notifications rather than making sure every
notification is displayed.  2)  To accomplish this in a way that is
virtually zero-configuration.

--
sfm