One Hundred Paper Cuts Round 2 Progress Report

(From http://davidsiegel.org/100papercuts-round-2/)

With many developers attending Gran Canaria Desktop Summit <http://www.grancanariadesktopsummit.org/> last week, the second milestone <https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+milestone/round-2> in the One Hundred Paper Cuts project <http://https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts> was moved back one week. We did not heal all ten paper cuts in Round 2 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+milestone/round-2>, but we made excellent progress on seven of them, while three paper cuts (and one Kubuntu paper cut) need some more attention before they can be healed.

Paper cuts fixed in this milestone:

   * Scrolling over your desktop no longer causes seasickness
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/147230>
   * Warn users who attempt to run updates on battery power
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/377697>
   * Don't show esoteric "Sign" and "Encrypt" entries in file context
     menus <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/393645>
   * Remove "Open with" and quotation marks from entries in "Open with"
     sub-menu
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/394356>
   * Show application icons in the "Open with" sub-menu
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/387796>

The following paper cuts are still in progress. Many of them have patches available, but something small is preventing the patches from landing:

   * Nautilus's search button tooltip is misleading
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/392292>.
     The fix for this bug was included in a broader patch; a patch that
     directly addresses this bug needs to be created.
   * Network Manager's wireless network password field should be
     focused by default for quick authentication
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/390362>.
     Patch is awaiting review and integration upstream and in Ubuntu.

These paper cuts appear to be stuck and may need *your* attention:

   * "Create Document" Templates difficult to use
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/372132>.
     Needs a fundamental decision about which templates to include.
   * Ambiguous wording in Computer Janitor confirmation dialog
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/computer-janitor/+bug/349336>.
     Patch needs attention from someone with PyGtk expertise.
   * Fix avatar in KDE menu to be next to username
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/389744>.
     Plasma Review Board seems to have rejected the patch outright for
     breaking visual consistency.
   * Poor descriptions for some applications in Startup Programs window
     <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/146918>.
     This bug needs attention from a native english speaker with
     excellent writing skills.

Overall, I am pleased with the great work completed for this milestone, especially the amazing Nautilus work by Marcus Carlson <http://https://launchpad.net/%7E0-launchpad-mejlamej-nu> with the upstream care and cooperation of Cossimo Cecchi <http://blogs.gnome.org/cosimoc/>. I expect the lingering paper cuts in this round to be fixed for Karmic even as we move our focus to Round 3 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+milestone/round-3> this week.