Re: Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

It seems that this is not a message indicator or message queue as originally
described, but rather a new kind of menu/launcher/accelerator.

The question is, as posed by Celeste, whether the spec and the app line up,
and it appears to not do so.

For me, this should not be a launcher. There are plenty of those. But that's
just my own opinion.

So, how would you handle determining if the app should be listed in the menu
or not?

If it was just a matter of showing apps which are using the MI communication
protocol (which means they are running) then it's trivial - you do nothing
special but show the messages if/when they show up. No special cases need to
be thought of and if a new app comes along, and they talk the proto, it should
just work, and queue the message.

However, hardcoding a list of apps and treating this like a menu is just
asking for future bug reports with users expecting to launch their app there,
whether it supports the MI proto or not (of course this is just my opinion).

When something is no longer a duck, it ceases to quack :)

I expect, if everyone really wants it this way, then the scope of the MI needs
to be changed and the spec updated to accurately reflect the new goals.