Re: Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 16:14 -0400, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> My question is: Why? To what purpose are all registered applications
> always listed in the MI, regardless if they are running or not, if
> they have messages or not, if the user even uses them or not.

The question comes down to whether users know if the applications are
running or not.  If I'm used to going to the messaging menu to
accomplish the task "Open the Pidgin Buddy List" should I have to know
whether Pidgin is running or not?

So in the case where it's not running the computer launches the
application and brings up the buddy list.  In the case where it was
running, it brings the buddy list forward.  Either way the user
accomplishes the task independent of what the computer is doing.

There is an issue with numbers of apps, which is rare, but unavoidable
as it's nearly impossible to determine "the mail application I use"
except by what's installed.  We're providing a blacklisting feature for
people to remove applications from the list.

		--Ted