Re: Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

Ted Gould wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 16:14 -0400, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>> My question is: Why? To what purpose are all registered applications
>> always listed in the MI, regardless if they are running or not, if
>> they have messages or not, if the user even uses them or not.
>
> The question comes down to whether users know if the applications are
> running or not.  If I'm used to going to the messaging menu to
> accomplish the task "Open the Pidgin Buddy List" should I have to know
> whether Pidgin is running or not?

Am I missing something here? If Pidgin's not running then by definition
I can't have any messages in it. Is the messaging menu just another
applications menu but only containing apps which are capable of
generating messages? That seems not all that useful to me, unless I've
completely misunderstood the purpose of it.

sil

PS. I think this, on re-reading, might be just my restating of Celeste's
issue :-)