Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [Re: Ubuntu User Experience Guidelines]]

Sorry for being gone for a long time. I was very busy with my graduation.
hehe :)

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 07:54 +0800, Allan Caeg wrote:
> > email message attachment, "Forwarded message - Re: [Ayatana] [Re:
> > Ubuntu User Experience Guidelines]"

my spare
time too. Of course, there are people who want to pursue their own paths and
that's
what open source is all about, but there are also those people who are
really into
developing a distro and the distro needs a sort of guidelines.

> > > My definition of usability is similar to
> > > yours but some developers or designers may have a different perception
> > > on this so we have to hear it from them so that we can set a common
> > > goal.
>
> You don't necessarily get the best definitions by asking many people ...
>
> Let's do something to define usability properly, then. Asking people is one
of the
ways but we don't necessarily have to limit ourselves in that way of data
gathering.

> > > I mentioned the GNOME's HIG and Tango's guidelines but other people
> > > aren't very keen on following them exclusively (see earlier posts
> here).
> > > It just means that we're not looking at UX with a similar lens. With
> > > different goals, the works of various developers and designers would be
> > > messy.
>
> Yes.
>

> > > If developing for a specific DE is saddening to you and making it
> distro-
> > > specific is even worse, what would you suggest? My understanding of a
> > > distro is that it's a unique operating system following its own
> principles
> > > so it's just natural that it has unique components that are included
> based
> > > on a standard. Without a standard of inclusion, the OS would be messy.
> > > If customization worries you, the user can always take stuff out and
> add
> > > on Ubuntu.
>
> To me, a distro is definitively not an unique operating system.
>
> I'm not worried about some level of customization.
>
> What I meant: apps like GIMP, Inkscape, X-Chat, Ardour ... they are
> written for Linux (plus ports) and not Ubuntu. That's good. I don't want
> to see that change, although it would be great if there was less
> friction caused by differences between distros and the need for
> packaging.
>
> That's doesn't seem to be how things work, though. A distro is a unique OS.
That's the whole point

> > > It really sounds like a tough job but there's a large community that
> > > dedicated to this in Ubuntu. We have employed people and a lot of
> > > passionate volunteers here. With enough work, we can develop a good
> enough
> > > set of UX principles.
>
> You seem to assume that having many people on it would help. I think it
> would cause unnecessary friction and loss of focus.
>
> Anyway, it would remain to be seen how many people would actually get
> involved.
>
> Let's see if others are willing to help. I'm still willing to spend my
spare time for this.
I believe in sabdfl's vision of making the free desktop experience
pleasurable for most
people through free software process.