Re: Notification consistency

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 07:17 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth
> None of those fit in the MI, imo.
>
> > My thinking of good examples:
> > Your download is complete: Pick it up [Here]
> > Your print Job failed.  Go [Here] to resend to printer.
> > Updates are available.  Go [Here] to install.
> >
> Yuck! None of those are messages. They're all candidates for one or
> other systemic indicator, though. Just not the MI.

I think I follow you.  You are talking about an alternate messaging
path, a system indicator.  (SI) I see the two as combined for
simplicity and centralization.

My thinking is that lib-notify gets a channel in MI.  The output only
side could serve as a history queue for notifications.  I also see a
potential interactive portion that resolves complaints about the output
only nature of lib-notify.

--
Possibility #1. Individual Application Registration: Firefox registers
with MI.  When a download completes, lib-notify notifies, MI sets an

This is a stretch to me, but not repulsive.  Firefox isn't a messaging
application. Doesn't seem to fit quite right. BUT, it does allow
interactive applications to work within lib-notify and have
interactivity.  Might make more sense in a SI.

--
Possibility #2. Lib-notify Registration:   LIB-NOTIFY registers with
MI.  When a download in Firefox completes, lib-notify notifies, MI sets

This makes a little more sense.  Lib notify IS a messaging library. Not
that there aren't any rough edges in my thought process, there is
enough synergy that there may be some sanity.

BTW, it looks like the Gnome Shell guys are discussing a similar idea.

From: http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/74854.html
"In the lower right hand-corner, a message queue will be displayed with
things waiting for your attention: chat applications, mail
notification, system warnings and music players."

> > The blackberry handles this nicely.  Programs register in the O/S and
> > the BB decides what you see and don't.  When you don't want to be
> > disturbed, it doesn't happen.  Through an interactive MI, a global DND
> > would be possible for compliant applications.   And with a more robust
> > messaging interface supporting interactivity, you have the carrot to get
> > them to comply.
> >
> Why would a DND be sensible to put in the MI?

Look at the the desktop as a messaging platform like a cell phone.  It
is wonderfully robust due to its interrupt based communications.
Someone sends me a message, I see it without lifting a finger. There
are times however, when this could be bad. VERY bad.  Examples:

1) You're at the first job interview you've had in 3 months.
Everything is going well and your potential new boss is impressed and
would like to see some examples of your coding style.  You crank up
netbeans on your laptop to blow him away with your mastery of design
patterns.  Suddenly, your zipperhead roomie fires off his best
Spicolli IM, "DuDe!  U fInIsHEd UR InTeRView?  LeTs go get BlAzEd!!"
Yea, it was a joke, but he doesn't know that.

2) Business has been very bad.  You just received notification from
corporate that there will be layoffs of your staff.  You are giving a
presentation on how to boost morale.  During the presentation, the
corporate VP sends out the downsizing list, with the subject:
"Confidential:  Personnel Terminations for Oct 12, 2009".  Lib-notify
dutifully announces the upcoming festivities.

3) You've been downloading a very slow torrent with information
concerning a psychiatric illness you've just be diagnosed with over the
last several days.  You're showing your boss how to print an envelope
and low and behold, your download finished and he is treated to a
notification showing most your most personal medical information.

All these are examples of situations where you are interacting with
other person(s) on your personal system.  It happens all the time.  We
just don't think about the consequences of that occasional personal or
confidential message.  If you had DND, then you could avoid them.

to turn off all PUSH messages.  A single click to get ALL of them.
Don't have to think about which ones will be embarrassing or remember
which apps could send out a message.  Much like silencing the ringer of
the cell phone.