Re: Ayatana Forum on UbuntuForums.org

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM, mac_v <drkvi-a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmmm..  not sure. You'll get more of just random hate/love comments
> rather than truly useful user experience.
>
> It is really tough to separate such rants from truly good/bad user
> experience. or even hate mail.

Echo that. An Ayatana forum would most likely attract more complaints
and less actual discussion. Take a look at the Ubuntu Testimonials &
Experiences forum if you don't believe me. :/

> For the forums to truly work ,
>  - this section needs to be a moderated section similar to the "How-to"
> section where the posts are first moderated by the admin group before
> they are even posted on the forum.
>  - make sure the admin group for this forum are really patient readers ,
> know what to pick up and are able to see the flaw in the design ;)

Warning: the process will quickly become cumbersome. :)
There are some vBulletin quirks that might prevent you from doing
exactly what you want. Adding individual moderators for a forum isn't
difficult, but taking into account the moderation queue things tend to
exponentially increase in complexity. ;)

>  - If needed, the admins can add an editor's note to the comment , this
> would be helpful to give meaning to rants. Sometimes the bad rants have
> a good point hidden somewhere in them too.

It's typically a Bad Idea(TM) to edit others' posts unless they are in
breach of the [UF] Code of Conduct.

> But then again , if the users are truly interested they could just join
> Ayatana mailing list.  And *no need for the forums section* to
> exist.  ;)

I agree wholeheartedly. Adding forums would make two different avenues
of communication, which typically just leads to confusion and
misunderstandings.

That said, there's nothing preventing anyone from posting to a
relevant section on the forums to gather more widespread input on a
survey or something.

Jacob

--
Jacob Peddicord