Re: MI idea suggestion

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 01:04 +0530, Praveen Thirukonda wrote:
> the best way to handle web mail in the long term would be to use the
> telepathy framework. it still needs some work on it's email parts
> though.
> maybe via empathy like pidgin does. or separately

I would love to see this done in Telepathy. Would give us independence
of an email client or another mail checker like gmailchek or
mail-notification running. We can have Telepathy mission-control running
with the desktop by default and it is not very expensive (less than 3MB,
plus the tube to connect). No need for empathy there.

> The reason why this is better is that it would be PUSH rather than
> PULL ie it wont check every x mins to see if new mail is there.
> as soon as mail is reached on server, server pushes it to user.
> hence instantaneous.

I'm not sure about this. Push email seems to be something I never
understood. If a smart IMAP client keeps a continuous connection, it can
detect whether or not you have mail. This is only true for IMAP though.
I have no idea how you would do that with POP or the legion of webmail
providers though.

I'm also not aware of a Telepathy connection manager that would do any
email stuff.

> though maybe there might be more data usage. or maybe not as i guess
> server pushes it in case of new messages only and IM clients maintain
> the connection continuously anyway.
> Though maybe this solution (via empathy) might not be ideal for the
> minority who dont use IM actively.

This is why Empathy is so great. You don't have to run it, because you
can run Telepathy's mission-control with your desktop session anyway.

In theory :)