Re: Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala

> Look at it this way, every decision you make when designing software,
> you weigh up the pros and cons of all the options before you make it.
> When neither option has any concrete benefit over the other, that's
> when it's down to personal preference and that (I would argue) is when
> you make it configurable and then, only then when it's worth the extra
> work. I would say that notify-osd's positioning is one of those
> occasions.
>
> Luke.

And that's where the problem begins. How many options would you make
configurable? In worst case you'd
have it with as much options as you have different opinions. And this can
quickly become unmanageable.

Noone takes options away from users in Ubuntu. Anyone can replace the
application provided by the distribution for anything
of their choice.

In case of Notify-OSD location, it seems that the argument here is for
something that most of its users haven't even seen yet. I find it
interesting that such a debate can be around something that is not even
officially released. I would say, let the main group of target users use it
first for some time. If the need for options will become obvious, I think
that Mark and all the people working on it would also agree with that, and
options will appear - they are not an enemy after all.

Alex.