Re: Regarding indicator-applet's behavior of running programs.

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 19:08 +0200, Tony Knott wrote:
> Currently, in Karmic I have three applications in the
> indicator-applet: empathy,
> evolution and gwibber. The close button behavior is different for each
> one:
>
> 1) In empathy, the close button only hides the window.
>
> 2) In gwibber, the close button closes the gui, but the daemon stays
> open.
>
> 3) In evolution, the program is completely closed.
>
> The solution I personally use to keep things acceptably consistent is
> to minimize
> instead of closing. However, this doesn't bother me because I use a
> dock and
> therefore the apps are minimized to its launchers. I can imagine that
> someone
> who uses the regular Gnome window list would be very annoyed by three
> non-used
> apps in the taskbar all the time.
>
> In fact, even for me the current situation is sub-optimal because it's
> redundant:
> I'd prefer launch the three apps only through the indicator-applet and
> remove their
> launchers from my dock.
>
> In my opinion, the best option would be to implement close-to-tray in
> all three,
> but as far as I know evolution devs are against it and patching things
> directly
> against the upstream direction is not a good idea in the long run.
>
> Nevertheless, despite which behavior is the correct one, I firmly
> believe that
> it should be consistent among all three.

This is one of the unresolved issues >
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MessagingMenu#Unresolved%20issues

The minimize to the messaging menu is something which hasnt been done
yet , for all the apps.
I believe we might get it for evolution too , for Lucid :)

Not sure if there is already a bug filed in the evolution-indicator ,
for this though.

--
Cheers,
mac_v