Re: Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

Sorry that you get this message twice, Jeremy. I forgot to reply to the
list itself at first try.

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 13:01 -0700, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> So, what is the indication that "the thing is not running"? It took me
> months to find out that, just because Evolution showed up in the
> messaging menu, it didn't mean that part of evolution was running and
> checking for new messages. That I had to open the evolution UI in
> addition to it being in the messaging menu was very non-intuitive.

I think it would be most appropriate to (perhaps optionally) have
empathy autostart with the session so that you can just set your status
(or optionally have it changed to 'available') upon login. I know some
people would not be happy with their status reported automatically like
this, which is why it should probably be optional. Similarly, I think we
should explore a possibility of having Evolution online and checking for
new messages without having the UI running.

Your status, I think, should ideally follow your setting in the
desktop-wide setting regardless of any 'application' running, handled
completely with daemons such as evolution-data-server and
telepathy-mission-control.

BTW is it even possible to make Evolution support this kind of behavior?

--
Juha Siltala