Re: Show real name in indicator applet

On 12/04/2009 11:35 AM, mac_v wrote:
On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 13:40 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
2009/12/3 Eduard Grebe<eduardgrebe@xxxxxxxxx>:

On small-screen devices like netbooks the shorter username is preferable.

The best thing would be to have a gconf key or a preference to switch
between full name, short username and no name at all (I don't need to
see my login username always at the corner!)

Abhishek

+1

Though the user name is meaningful when there is a multi-user set-up or
classroom setup as mentioned in the first post , it does not provide any
useful information for a single user setup and it is a waste of pixels.

Either the name need not be displayed for single user systems by
default.

A gconf key may solve the problem for us, but it won't solve it for users in general.
Why not just allow setting a "display name" in the "About me" app?
Select something by default, and let people change it if they feel like being addressed in a different way. We probably use the name in more than just the indicator applet, so this could apply globally.

Or , we could use the space for something more meaningful to the user it
would make sense.

We could have a "mood reader" instead of the name.
The session-menu can be made to detect the activity the user is doing
and alter the "mood status" of the user in the menu.

Wouldn't it seem odd that something so persistent (the panel) changed so much?

--
Martin