Re: Show real name in indicator applet

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 11:44 -0300, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> On 12/04/2009 11:35 AM, mac_v wrote:

> > +1
> >
> > Though the user name is meaningful when there is a multi-user set-up or
> > classroom setup as mentioned in the first post , it does not provide any
> > useful information for a single user setup and it is a waste of pixels.
> >
> > Either the name need not be displayed for single user systems by
> > default.
>
> A gconf key may solve the problem for us, but it won't solve it for users in
> general.
> Why not just allow setting a "display name" in the "About me" app?
> Select something by default, and let people change it if they feel like being
> addressed in a different way. We probably use the name in more than just the
> indicator applet, so this could apply globally.

> > Or , we could use the space for something more meaningful to the user it
> > would make sense.
> >
> > We could have a "mood reader" instead of the name.
> > The session-menu can be made to detect the activity the user is doing
> > and alter the "mood status" of the user in the menu.
>
> Wouldn't it seem odd that something so persistent (the panel) changed so much?

I didnt mean change the width of the area used for every status, but
rather use the same space more usefully.
The mood statuses , need to be single words and be able to fit the
width. and not change the panel too much.

Definitely, moving around items on the panel would be a bad idea ... :)

--
Cheers,
mac_v