Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 15/03/10 18:01, Jim Rorie wrote:
>> Essentially, what the problem is that the spec removed a common desktop
>> level interactive loop and replaced it with multiple ad-hoc application
>> level paths.  It created the a problem similar to the one that the
>> application indicator is trying to solve.
>>
>> While I like the current notifications, the side effects of this change
>> weren't fully pursued.  I suggested a solution on this group back in
>> December that would have left the current notifications intact exactly
>> as they are, but with a panel icon to extend functionality for those
>> that needed it.  It was not received well.
>>
>> However, one part mystically appeared in the Me Menu. Hmm. :)
>>
> The general pattern is:
>
>  - ethereal notifications for things you can afford to miss

At the risk of sounding facetious, we are talking about *ephemeral*
notifications, correct? Somewhere along the line the vocabulary was
changed and it took me a few emails to realise people weren't talking
about look and feel. Unless light, airy, and tenuous is some high
level experience goal for the notification design.