GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

Hey, all.

I posted a GSoC project Idea on the ubuntu-soc list yesterday and I thought
it'd be more appropriate if I run it down by developers in the Ayatana list.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-soc/2010-March/000047.html

Some of the things that this project could help solve :

1.) Make the OSD customizable
     * setting up persistence time
     * UI modifications over a basic structure
     * Font size/style
     ...other similar stuff we can decide upon.
2.) Most of the above things would be customized by an OSD Manager that
could handle all those by a native GTK+ application.
3.) Implementing unresolved work in the Design Specs.

A few design features that I have in mind (possibly conflicting from the
specs in the wiki) :

1.) Stacking, that'd make the bubbles dock downwards as they are initiated
and start to stack up as the bubble times finish away.
2.) A close button on the corner of the bubble as soon as a mouseover occurs
(like Growl, instead of disappearing away)
3.) Some other ideas?

It could either be a combination of new features and the
proposed customizability improvements or just the latter. How feasible do
you think it is? (possible additions/subtractions?)

 --
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Follow ups