Re: Fwd: Proposal of new UI element for windows in Ubuntu: Esfera

I'm glad to discuss it here, I thought somehow that the Ayatana list was
private... thanks for reading and commenting, guys :)

The concept may seem complex at first, but I think it isn't. What would an
user do if he finds a big new button on the windows? most of them will click
on it and see what happens. Then, user will see a menu with the options he
can do: maximize, minimize, close, switch workspace, etc., AND a higlighted
option "Learn how to use Esfera". Then, he can simply choose the action he
wants to do, but sooner or later he will care and click on "Learn how to use
Esfera", where he will get an explanation on the possibilities it offers,
gestures, etc.

So, the first steps won't be much trouble for him.

And in the future, he will just need to perform little, easy-to-remember,
gestures with the button. They are intuitive: to the top to maximize, to the
bottom to minimize, etc. And he will have instant feedback: action will be
performed on the fly, with a small movement, before he releases Esfera, and
if it's not what he wants he just needs to undo it before releasing it.

The idea is that, at first, there is a coexistence of Esfera with the
maximize-minimize-close buttons to test the user experience with it, but in
the middle term, if it works, it would replace them as this actions can be
done with Esfera.

What's the point on changing something that works for a different concept?
Innovation and usability. If we do it well, we'll be able to do lots of
things with a single button, which brings simplicity and a faster usage -
it's far easier to reach a big, single button, than three little buttons,
and we'll offer more options to the user. And if we do it well, it will be
quicker for him.

@David: I'm glad to see someone has got a similar idea! maybe we can take
elements from both. I like your idea of showing the gestures in the menu,
and I hadn't thought about shaking! Shift-clicking on the button to group
windows is another good idea... Yes, I agree that featuritis is a risk :)
but we could try something with the basic things first, and, if it works,
think about adding more... I also think we are on the way to something!

@Jan: of course, gestures should be carefully thought. In the case you
propose, what I'd do is: if the window is maximized at first; when the
button is clicked and dragged a bit to the button, the window is unmaximized
(before the user releases the button). Then, 3 things can happen:

1) He releases the button. Window stays unmaximized.
2) He moves it again to the top, then releases it. It gets maximized again,
and it stays that way.
3) He moves it more to the bottom. Window is minimized.