Re: message indicator.(colour palette)

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 10:02 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> There should be a rationale and guidance for the use of the various
> colours. For example, red is clearly an alert colour, as is orange. When
> would one use red and when orange? Both indicate a caution or warning.
> Green indicates something that one should be aware of that is NOT a
> warning or caution, such as a message. So I would expect the document to
> include:

Leaving color-deficient-vision issues aside (the usual advice is to not
rely on color alone, but to use other clues such as shape):

Red is used to mean Stop on traffic signs and lights. It stands for
record armed or in progress in the audio realm.

I'd use orange for warnings and red for state or use only one of the 2.

Taking from traffic and audio again, green stands for go!, you-can-pass,
playing (playback, not toys). It shouldn't be used if something is not
in an all-OK state, I think.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: