Re: Middle-click on indicators

On Wednesday 14,April,2010 09:54 PM, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 14:00, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:hyperair@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Then how about middle click activating a "default action" of an
>     indicator?
>
>     [...]
>
>     I think this would lead to the same kind of standardization that the
>     application
>     indicators is supposed to bring, without cutting back too much on
>     functionality -- a good compromise.
>
> middle click is desktop-specific.
> a netbook, (sub-)notebook, tablet or touchscreen device would not
> support that action without an additional modifyer.

Really? I thought all Ubuntu installations had 3-button emulation enabled
(left+right click = middle click) by default, which I had mentioned in my

At the very least, it is enabled on my notebook, and I have heard from
#ubuntu-desktop that evdev (the X driver for input devices) has this emulation
enabled by default.

> using the middle button would also be inconsistent with Gnome's current
> guidelines, see:
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-mouse.html.en#mouse-buttons
> according to the above guidelines, usage of the middle button would in
> this particular case be addressed to the advanced user only, thereby
> resulting in being a "hidden treasure".

This is exactly the use case we are going for. We want a *shortcut* to default
actions in the indicator for *advanced* users.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)