Re: Fwd: CHI Day 4 continued

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 00:22, Jim Rorie <jfrorie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Communication and language are at the centre of this topic, not music.
>
> I agree, but let's not lose sight of the Feng shui aspect of the
> desktop.

hahaah ;) i get carried away by spiritual concepts too easily :D

 Music is communication. It taps into very old parts of the
> brain.
>
> definitely so! music is a very cordial and universal language, i couldn't
agree more.

my point: music is in most cases a question of taste.
sythesis of our points: make it themeable.
music lovers can use more musical themes, Mozart fans get the classical
theme, Manowar lovers their's, minimalists and purists get the R2D2 pack..

> > IMHO we should recommend using human voice frequencies as a modeling
> > guide for future sound-themes. Best example remains plain old
> > telephone (300Hz - 3,400Hz).
> > Absolutely small footprint, easy to compress, we hear better within
> > this range and just about any large or miniature speaker is capable of
> > producing sound within this band, even tiny mobile devices.
>
> I think this maps to the timber argument that Connor was referring to
> earlier.  I'd argue for a wider bandwidth for a richer experience.  But
> emphasis could be placed on these frequencies.

yes definitely. 20ieth century landline sound from my home cinema speakers
would be a total waste!
for clarity in the communication, emphasis (and not band-restricion) would
be the right approach. we both want the same vibes here.
perhaps the footprint advantage would only apply to some sounds in the realm
described

> > I think Ubuntu Ayatana is a good place to discuss the creation of
> > computer speech.
>
> I think a good starting point would be to map modes of operation of the
> desktop.  Just a few off the top of my head and without particular
> importance I can think of: (Just brainstorming here)
>
> Sudo privileges active
> Different desktops (1-4)
> Battery state
> System Load
>
> impressive! this kind of thinking gives real relevance to the whole topic.

> Since stereo is pretty much standard, sound could be routed to different
> channels depending on which side of the screen action occurs on.  Or
> perhaps which monitor you are on.  It would help in tracking down those
> pesky windows that run in the background that occasionally the eye
> misses.

yes, yes and yes.