Re: Application Indicators v. 2

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 04:54 +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On Tuesday 27,April,2010 03:48 AM, Ted Gould wrote:
> > For application indicators we're currently only taking icon names for
> > the icons.  This allows for consistent theming of the icons along with
> > the panel theme.  The problem that this creates is when dealing with
> > dynamically generated icons.  There are several applications that abuse
> > this (Bacula comes to mind) but applications like GNOME Settings Daemon
> > uses this for the current keyboard layout (putting two letters of text
> > as the icon).  I'd prefer to avoid sending all the theme information and
> > update signals required to implement drawing of the icon to the
> > application.  Is there another way that we can provide dynamic icons?
>
> Regarding this point, can we not model it after the image-data hint of the
> org.freedesktop.Notifications spec? I believe it sends a pixmap through D-Bus
> from an application to notify-osd/notification-daemon.
>
> Considering the size of the indicators, these icons should be pretty small,
> compared to the kinds of images sent to notify-osd, so it should not cause a
> huge memory leak like it did with notify-osd.

Yes, we could do it that way.  The data transfer isn't as much the issue
as getting the theme information to the application rendering the icon.
And the theme updates and sizes etc.  There's a lot of protocol there,
where the notifications spec ignores those topics and is pretty much
"fire and forget" with regard to icons.

		--Ted