Re: Unexpected close functionality

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 15:29 +1200, Benjamin Humphrey wrote:
> On the subject of Rhythmbox, currently when you start it, it will open
> to the last state - eg. in the notification area, or maximized, or
> just a window on some workspace. I don't think it should do this. When
> people open a program, they expect to see a reaction immediately. If
> it's opening as a 10x10 pixel icon in the corner of their screen, or
> in another workspace where they can't see it, then they will be
> confused and become frustrated.
>
> Also, what do you want to do when you open a music player? You want to
> play music, select your song or artist or album, or choose a podcast
> or browse the store. None of these can be achieved when the window is
> on another workspace, or with the limited functionality of the music
> menu in the notification area. Plus, I believe this action is
> inconsistent with most other programs.
>
> Benjamin

Repeating what i mentioned in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/527119

This bug has become more easy to notice since the app-indicator work.
Others on #ubuntu+1 also keep mentioning that they noticed this problem
only now. But it is the same old bug. RB starts minimized to tray when
previous session was minimized and closed from the menu.

People are now just finding it easier to close from the indicator menu
and noticing the age old bug.
Time to fix the bug? ;)

> > On 27/04/2010 6:27 AM, "Shane Fagan" <shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I was playing a song in rhythmbox and I pressed the close button
> > (the x button) and currently it stays running in the background. I
> > wondered to myself is the close button meant to be close window
> > rather than close program?
> >
> > -fagan

Yes , that is the expected behavior , the metacity close button
minimizes to Notification area and "quit" is the only way to quit the
app. This just seems different since this is new behavior for RB .

But this is the same for transmission and other apps[Banshee , Gwibber]
using indicator-applications menu as well.

--
Cheers,
Vish