Re: Panel menu in 10.10 Netbook UI

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 16:49 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> I blogged today about a decision we've taken to adopt a single menu in
> the panel, for the netbook interface. The blog is at
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/359 and there will be some
> additional commentary from MPT and others on design.canonical.com in due
> course.

I'm especially interested in combining menu and title.

On large screens, you often see windows with a titlebar taking the full
width, much of that empty. Next row: menu bar. Again lots of unused
space on the right. Once more for the toolbar.

What if these elements would flow like words in a text? Start with the
title. If there's enough space, put the menu in the same row. If not,
the menu goes into the 2nd row, but might share it with the toolbar.

This would be bad if things move around often because of it, but I think
most windows are used with maybe 2 sizes, maximized and one smaller that
happens to be convenient, given the specific content and typical
context.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: