Re: Integrating Application Search & Install

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Diego Moya <turingt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28 April 2010 10:50, Tyler Brainerd wrote:
> > If the goal of all this is to directly connect the user quickly with
> > their files and programs, then adding programs that are not currently
> > installed will only add clutter and messiness,
>
> The application menu has also the goal to let the user discover the
> applications available in the system.
>
> I like the idea of showing installable applications in the search
> results, but Tyler is right that it can hurt the primary goal of
> opening common programs if done badly. I think showing a separate
> panel for the software center results would be enough to distinguish
> both use cases and reduce the possible confusion.

Or at the very least, restrict the number of visible options, or have it
show options if there is no (or few) matches found on system. I still think,
either way, the discussion here is suggesting something which has
conflicting goals. Is it an app search or a file search? Is it currently
installed apps or installable apps? Its going to create a really mess. Lets
narrow the vision a bit, and then I think it will work.

In this note, we see in Windows a very clear application: The start menu is
meant as a hub of applications, so pressing it and typing searches
applications, not documents. Document names are often repetitive (I often
name documents simply numbers, and identify them based on location in a
folder) but application names make sense to search.