Re: Redesigning the Ubuntu mouse cursor for simple notification of app attention

I think that relying on mouse cursors as notifications is a scary idea. With
the advent of new input methods (and old ones becoming more popular) such as
touch-screens, the role of the mouse cursor does not have a 100% rock-solid
future. Why put the effort into something that may not be there five years
down the road?

Also, I don't know about you, but I am rarely actually looking at my mouse
cursor. I am looking at the screen behind it. If I am trying to actively
click something, I use my peripheral vision to tell my hand where it needs
to go, then when it comes into view over where I need it, *bam* I click. I
don't want to have to focus on my actual cursor, which could be well away
from where I am actually working. This is even more true when I am not
actively using the mouse, for example while I am typing this e-mail, I have
no clue where the mouse pointer is, because I have no use for it. If I am
watching a video, I may even intentionally push the mouse cursor off the
edge of the screen so that it doesn't get in the way. In all of these
situations, I won't see whatever an app is trying to tell me through the
mouse cursor.

-S