Redesigning the Ubuntu mouse cursor for simple notification of app attention

Hey all,

Since we are looking to innovate for 10.10 how about something as
fundamental as the mouse cursor. Ok at the moment we have very simple
and old school but maybe we can do some indications with the mouse
cursor, im doing something, you can type here...etc.

What im thinking is that if something is going on in the background that
may not need a notification but a user may want to go to like an app
opening or just that the app needs attention. So my idea is that the
mouse cursor displays the icon of the app (for a few seconds) that needs
attention if its not focused. I know that the window list at the bottom
of the screen indicates that the app needs attention but the user always
has an eye on the mouse so it makes sense to put some indications there
too.

What do you all think? I know its a little bit out there but its just a
little idea.

-fagan

Follow ups