Re: Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

On 4 May 2010 21:49, Diego Moya <turingt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've created a mockup for a simple version of the panel with
> per-application settings.
>
> Instead of volume sliders for each application, a tri-state button
> (muted, low, high) can be used to give priority to the focused
> application.
>
> Usually only one application would have high volume, clicking High on
> another application would set the previous focused app to low. This is
> to avoid micro-managing of the panel. But it could be allowed to set
> several applications at High with Ctrl+click, like multiple selection
> in lists.

I like this idea. It clutters the menu less than a slider for each
application and it makes it integrated the idea of giving applications
different priorities really well into the UI. It's also good to place
the master slider at the top so you can easily access what's probably
used most often.

You would suggest to only show the three different states when the
mouse hovers over the speaker icon? That's probably the best way to do
it, as long as it's clear enough that something will appear when you
hover over those icons.

The division of the sounds by their application's function seems a
sane decision to me, it tells the user what she or he wants to know.

Do you think the Currently Playing information from media players
should be added here as well? Or would that make the menu too large?

Cheers,
--
Sense Hofstede
[ˈsɛn.sə ˈɦɔf.steː.də]