Re: Use cases for volume control

2010/5/5 Martín Soto <donsoto@xxxxxxxxx>

> I'm also a fan of ReplayGain and use it whenever I can. The use case,
> however, is there to show the need, not the solution. Indeed, the best
> possible solution is one that doesn't require any user intervention to
> achieve the desired effect, and, for this case, ReplayGain belongs
> definitely to this league.
>
> Maybe we could write this case in a somewhat different way to convey the
> fact that the volume has to be adjusted, without implying that this
> adjustment has to be manual. Any suggestions?

 I'd suggest, again, to begin with the "problem" cases, not solutions. For
example, when is the intervention needed to control volume?

1. I'm listening to a great rock music (meaning pretty loud), and VOIP call
comes in. So, do I want to pause music, or make it more quiet relative to
the volume of the voice chat (and maybe system will do that automatically
when I answer the call).

2. I'm in a voice chat session. Do I want to hear other system sounds or
not? Do I want to hear them louder than the call or more quiet?

So I suggest to describe flows that require an intervention. If it is
complicated to handle a flow then great, you have found a "problem"
definition.

Alex.