Re: Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

2010/5/13 Walter Wittel <wittelw@xxxxxxxxx>

> Wouldn't reducing the volume of the other streams in x db below the
> notification be much easier to implement and achieve the goal of hearinf the
> notification? X could be different based on the urgency of the notification.

..or based on the current attention mode of the user.

watching a movie with my girlfriend, i don't want calls to break audio or IM
bubbles to jump into Batman's face. that's something we are not yet
addressing, and also the settings in the Me Menu don't quite cover that
yet..

Busy aka Do Not Disturb perhaps.. yeah.

and in that mode, i wouldn't want any blips or bubbles.
the only case i can think of as being relevant is a warning about imminent
hardware failure or such..

otherwise, read ahead the sum of active audio streams, calculate RMS and
duck[1] it to the notification sounds. if notification sounds are designed
well, then we DO want to hear them.
so now that they are actually helpful and don't suck anymore, please let me
know somehow, if they are muted.

[1] http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/glossary/t--Ducker