dx-m-indicator-sound feedback

Hi,

I was listening to the dx-m-indicator-sound session at UDS-M. I'm really
looking forward to the work on this now! (Although I couldn't find the
Gobby document). Kudos for using existing specifications (eg: MPRIS) for
all of this! It goes a long way.

Has some decision been reached on how the master volume should work with
multiple devices attached?

For what it's worth, here's my opinion on where things should be:

      * One device typically corresponds to a set of speakers. Each
        device will have a different story for how loud 85% volume is.
        85% means nothing in the context of “all audio devices”.
      * By default, one audio stream should only be on one device at any
        given time, though this can be changed.
      * VOIP playing on a headset while music keeps going on main
        speakers is NOT a corner case. That is functionality which could
        be automated some day, so it doesn't necessarily require a
        technically-minded user.

…So, I think a technical solution that gives us a "true" master volume
control, though possibly quite clever, could be pretty harmful. I think
we can trust users, when they hear something, to know what device it is
coming from and expect to control it. The sound indicator can build on
that expectation by having a separate slider for each sound device.
(Usually just one).

Scrolling on the indicator itself could control all the sinks in a
relative sense, just as a handy shortcut. I don't think that should have
a dedicated UI beyond the scroll wheel stuff, since there is no real
number for the volume of all streams; it's just an adjustment relative
to each one's current state.
The Mute All menu item should continue to mute every single audio
device.

Take care,
Dylan

Follow ups